Monday, March 26, 2007

we try but we didn't have long

[this.is.good.]

1. Flying Toasters Screen Saver Clone
If you had a computer in the late 80s / early 90s, or if you spent a great deal of time in grade school playing The Oregon Trail in the computer lab, chances are you're familiar with After Dark screen savers. Now the iconic flying toasters can once again flutter across your desktop in this clone (Windows and Mac). Is it just me, or do I seem to remember that on the After Dark module you could set how dark you liked your toast? Genius. Now if only they'd bring back that Simpsons screen saver where Homer ate away your desktop...

2. The Curiosity Shoppe
Absolutely adorable (albeit a little pricey) and unique goods. So what's worth shelling out for? The wallpaper plates, pretty much any of their stationery, and for some reason I'm in love with this silly decorative crown.

3. Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
J put Of Montreal on a mix many moons ago. I listened a few times and my conclusion was: meh. His disappointment was palpable. Then I stumbled across the video for "Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse" on YouTube and was instantly hooked. As it happens, the whole album is great. So yes, I am a latecomer to the wagon, but a happy one! Other current musical obsessions? Hot Chip - The Warning, Orange Juice - The Glasgow School, TV On the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain. For the record, the jury is still out on the new Arcade Fire. I am also loving Morrissey again lately (I could write an essay on why I love how completely absurd he is. See: video for "Suedehead", subsection Moz driving a tractor and playing bongos to a field of cows). But I digress...

4. Almay Ideal Lip Color
I am not one who can normally pull off lipstick, but Almay has developed a line of colors that are flattering for everyone. I bought the berry and red sets (minus the lip liner... I've progressed, but not that far...) and am impressed! I tend to play up my eyes instead of my weird lips, but now...

5. Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness Juice
1 liter = Best.Hangover.Cure.Ever.

6. Blue Planet: Seas of Life
[NB: as of this moment, the DVD set is 30% off at Amazon, which is a steal. Buy it. Now. Trust me on this one.] Absolutely stunning series on marine life, narrated by none other than the entirely endearing and mesmerizing David Attenborough. I'm pretty sure they're still showing it (although perhaps irregularly) on Animal Planet, but if you can catch only one episode make sure that it's the one on Deep Sea Life. It boggles my mind, the creatures they find down there. If you've ever joined me on one of my trips to a museum of natural history, you'll know I am marginally obsessed with freaky deep sea critters ("Bloody pilot fish! Evil pilot fish! I know your dad!!").

7. Georges DuBoeuf Saint Amour (2005)
In case you haven't noticed, I haven't met a Beaujolais I didn't like. This is a great spring red, though, as it is a little lighter and fruitier. I have a feeling it would make an excellent sangria. Hmm, perhaps a thought for my getaway this weekend...

No comments: