Friday, June 01, 2007

really too late to call, so we wait for morning to wake you

Holy cow my allergies are out of control today. I feel as though I have flu, and I can barely see through my watering eyes. Good grief.

Anyway, you're probably (marginally) more interested in hearing about my trip to LA than my allergy woes, so I'll dive right in.

The flight was OK, despite being seated with two of the most obnoxious.hipsters.ever. Granted, it could have been much, much worse, but sheesh. By the end of the flight I was quite through with hearing about how everything was "soooo amaaaazing" and their plans to play league kick ball in some park in Williamsburg. He was designing t-shirts, she was making jewelery. "So, are you into that whole, like, Edie Sedgwick vibe? I think it's soooo amaaaazing!" Bleargh.

Anyway, J was waiting at the airport and (thanks to Long Beach's totally manageable size) we swiftly grabbed my bags and headed back to West Hollywood. Oh, with a brief drive-thru visit to In-N-Out (fries were subpar, burger was good), natch.

J had to work on Friday, so I stole his car and took a spin. I was a little apprehensive about this, not least because the gas gauge was below E, but I managed to locate a gas station and navigate my way to the diner J recommended for brunch near (in?) Santa Monica. Delish. I lounged away the rest of the morning driving up (and down) the PCH, then through the mountains. Gosh, I love the mountains. La la LOVE them.

En soirée, we had a lovely dinner at a charmingly hidden French restaurant called Stella. Dining outside, we devoured escargot and lamb while Serge Gainsbourg crooned. Lovely.

As for the weekend, I can't remember what days we did what, but highlights included:
*Winding through the Angeles Forest (more mountains! yay!)
*Drinks on the roof of the Standard (sunburn! not so yay!)
*Drinks at the Figueroa (my favorite)
*Sunbathing at Venice Beach (only for about an hour)
*TWO visits to Fred 62 (and other ridiculously delicious meals)
*Strolling through the garden of the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena
*Memorial Day get-together beside a pool in suburbia

All in all, a lovely trip. I was sad to go, and of course this "week" (3 days) at work dragged like you would not believe. I still haven't fully unpacked, but that's something for this weekend I suppose.

Now I'm right back here; I'm lost and confused and don't know what to do with myself. I've been sapped of my élan once again, but I'm not entirely sure how to pull myself out of it. It's like... I clearly could have done an infinitely better job of recapping my vacation, but I just don't feel like it. I don't feel like putting effort into much of anything anymore, which is just about the WORST POSSIBLE attitude to have when faced with the present circumstances. I'll have to snap out of it, clearly, but it's not going to be easy. Grah. I am not a happy bunny.

No comments: